Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Phenomenons Called Curiosity and Creativity

Artwork provided by Cameron Eades
Do you remember what it’s like to be a kid? Your days were filled with curiosity, you asked a million questions and the biggest, and most important questions of all were, “Why?” and “What if?” Those symbolic “brick walls” called problems that we all face were no match for the creativity and energy of a child.

So What Happened?

I often wonder why I don’t approach life in the same manner as I did as child. Have I really let cynicism replace curiosity? Why can’t I look at the world in the same sense of amazement as a child? I think these thoughts were, at times, resurrected when my children were young and even later on as I worked with students. Their approach to life added much joy and excitement to my own life as I watched the way they approached every imaginable task.

What kids innately have is a sense of curiosity and creativity. According to Dictionary.com, "curiosity" is defined as "the desire to learn or know about anything"  and “creativity” is defined as the "ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination."

I’ve admired creative adults as I’ve read about them or watched movies or documentaries about their lives. Their stories are obviously amazing, but those are exceptional moments of creativity with a good public relations firm behind them.

Take Time to Notice

That’s right. We should take more time and use more energy when we interact with people because we are surrounded with unique, creative, and intelligent people. Every person has a myriad of life experiences that shape who they are and the skill sets that are unique to them. Their approach to any task will vary based upon those experiences.

It doesn’t matter who you meet. It could be a CEO or my mechanic or anyone that you meet, but people are just, to be honest, flat out brilliant! I’ve decided that taking the time to observe and witness the creativity and brilliance of others is my daily motivation to ask questions and to become creative in my own life.

I know I’m probably not telling you anything you don’t already know, but I hope this will remind you to take time with those around you, because you just might be amazed at their creativity and intelligence. You just might learn some amazing things from the most unlikely sources!

Artwork provided by Cameron Eades

A Commitment to Learning is the Key

I believe that learning from others is paramount to increasing creativity and performance. This may be selfish of me, but I hope you will join my personal learning network by following and commenting on this blog or on Twitter @CareerTechTest so I can learn from each of you (send me a message so that I will make sure to follow you)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
MDZE3SGDZH9Y